OpenBox on My Lightweight Linux Desktop

After a week of XFCE, I decided to change my desktop to something lighter. My new computer is equipped with a 1 GHz CPU and 256 MB RAM. It seems to be more than enough to run Xubuntu 8.04 but I wanted to have even faster desktop that I was able to get with XFCE.

So I turned of some more unnecessary services and installed OpenBox. As OpenBox does not provide a panel I installed also pypanel. It is pretty useful and customizable enough. As the desktop seemed fast enough for me, I installed Launchy that provides a fast way to start applications without need to use a mouse. Even after these additions, OpenBox is a joy to use.

4 comments:

Darrell said...

Looks swee-eeeeeeeet.

Mikko said...

Back to the nineties ;-)

riegersn said...

If you want to go lightweight, ditch Launchy and install gmrun, its in the ubuntu repositories. Its the exact same thing minus all the bells and such ;) super lightweight if you will ;). You can also bind a key event to exec gmrun.

Mikko said...

I prefer a combination of being lightweight and having functionality. Check out the output of top and you'll notice that xterm takes the cycles, not launchy. 99,7 % idle on a 1 GHz CPU is lightweight enough for me.